Sunday, August 12, 2018

Operation Sudlicht Bolt Action Tournament

The Devonport Gaming Club's annual Bolt Action Tournament, Operation Sudlicht 2018 was held  yesterday.

A school gymnasium made an excellent venue for the 20 players with 12 excellent tables. Chris & I made the journey to take part as did another 7 Hobartians from the Good Games & Area 52 players. Blue on Blue was avoided with prizes for Best Axis, Best Allied & Best Minor Power.  Table allocation was left to the players to pair off & pick.  With 2 spare tables & amiable players, this simple system worked well & would have simplified the rostering.  

I took my Panzergrenadiers as usual.  My first battle was Heartbreak Ridge scenario against a British army.  I ran into a s-storm of cunning opponent with a good plan & good dice.  I was not surprised when my enemy went on to win best Allied General. 
Chris took Russians.  His first battle was against a beautiful Japanese army that took 3 years to paint & won the beauty prize against very stiff competition.  Not sure how the Russians got so far south to fight in the jungle, but not Blue on Blue.









My second battle was a Key Positions scenario.  I lost again, this time I think I had the best plan, but a combination of a blunder & bad luck in the last move scramble for objectives gave me another defeat. 
The final battle was a Point Defence.  The Axis were losing the Axis v. Allies count & were made the defenders is this round.  My Panzergrenadiers lost heavily against the Matt's British but at the end were still hanging onto all objectives by their fingernails, very relieved when there was no turn 7.

Once again the Devonport blokes ran an excellent event, well attended, played in good spirit & enjoyed by all.  Camp Cromwell finished down in the pack, me with 1 win & 2 losses, Chris with 1 win, 1 draw & 1 loss, but a good day & well worth the long drive.

2 comments:

Gonsalvo said...

Very attractive tables!

Jacksarge Painting said...

The guys do top notch tables, looks like a cool event.