Sunday, February 03, 2019

Vale Carmel

After some years of ill health, my wife Carmel passed away last week.  A house full of relatives, wargamers & other friends celebrated her life at her wake yesterday.  
This is us in 1983 in my wargames room in the first house we bought together.   We'd met on a blind date set up by an old flatmate of mine who'd become a workmate of Carmel.  Blind dates don't come any better.  She wasn't into wargames per se, but was into history enough to have an appreciation of my obsession.  She tolerated the biggest room in our houses being devoted to wargames & our house being invaded by my wargames mates at least once a week.  She happily structured our European holidays around my wish list of battlefields, military museums & fortifications.  We'd been together for 36 happy years.




5 comments:

StarCruiser said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Having the right person in your life for so long makes it hard to let go.

I hope you find peace without her.

God Bless,
Ron

Itinerant said...

So sorry. A moment of silence for your loss. May your memories carry you.

Gonsalvo said...

Such a sad day! Oddly, I too met my wife on a blind date. I can't say that she "gets" my hobby at all, but she tolerates it. We were married in 1982, so much the same time as you and Carmel. I cannot imagine the void in my life that would occur with her loss.

May your friends and family sustain you through the coming days,

Peter

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your sad news Jim.
Darryl

RUSSEL said...

So sorry to hear this Jim