Mark's detachment of 4 British coys holds the fortified village beside the oasis at one end of the table. Mike & Chris's armies of Fuzzy Wuzzies are massing to destroy them. Jim's relief column is on the way. The Mahdists can win either by taking the village before the relief column gets to them, or by defeating the relief column. The relief column has to move up a valley with hills on both sides hiding the two Mahdi armies, each of 2 infantry & 1 cavalry division. The location of the Mahdi's divisions is unknown to the British until they come into sight.
- The sand of the desert is sodden red,—
- Red with the wreck of a square that broke;—
- The Gatling's jammed and the Colonel dead,
- And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
- The river of death has brimmed his banks,
- And England's far, and Honour a name,
- But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks:
- "Play up! play up! and play the game!"