Thursday, June 03, 2010

Nick in Paris -- Wargames Club and Tank Museum






I wandered along to one of the local wargames clubs -- Immotals de Paris Ouest. I had arranged to play a Field of Glory game with Gilles -- Romans vs Carthaginians. The club meet started at 7:00. But due to work I didnt leave the office till 7:00, and I had to run to get food, and then get the metro (changing twice) to get to the club. I got there at 8:00, and there was no one there. I was about to leave when another wargamer arrived, and at 8:15 a whole horde appeared. There was then a lot of chatting -- the game was changed to Akkadians vs Sumerians, and setup proceeded. The game didnt start until 10:00 pm. I was worried -- due to rail works the metro line I used shut down at 10:00 each night. But I was persuaded to stay, with an offer of a lift.

Gilles and I had a cunning plan as the Sumerians. The Akkadians fell into our trap, and we out deployed them. Unfortunately, at that point it all fell appart -- our Chariots refused to maneuver. And I compounded the mistake when I charged what I thought was undisciplined rabble, only to find out they were royal guard!

The game finished at 2:00 am. I got home, and got up at 5:00 am to get the train to Saumur.

The tank museum is a must see for boys of all ages!!! What can I say that hasn't already been said. I walked through the exhibits twice. Unfortunately, my planning was bad -- if I had gone a week before I would have seen the annual concourse where they get the running tanks outside maneuvering around! As it was, some of the tanks had fresh dirt still on the tracks!!!

No comments: