Sunday, January 26, 2020

BA at Cancon 2020

Chris & I represented Camp Cromwell & Tasmania at the Cancon 2020 Bolt Action tournament.  The army limit was 1250 pts, supposedly generic & not cheesy.  However a mainlander's idea of not cheezy seems to differ somewhat from ours.  We faced mostly double platoon Late War lists loaded up with all the deadly stuff - flame thowers, multi MMG armoured jeeps, bugs & honeys, snipers, & multiple tanks & A/cars.   On top of that we never had much luck either.   I know that's the classic wargamer's excuse, but I think I have a case.  For instance, my Sahariana was destroyed the first time anything fired at in all 5 games.
There were 50 players with a wide selection of forces, nationalities & terrain.
My first battle (Meeting Engagement) v. Brits did not go well.   I lose my Sahariana in British bombardment, then had missed 4 tries at shooting up a flamethrower before it burned a hole thru my lines.
Round 2 was No Mans Land against more late War Brits.  I managed to slavage a tie. 
Round 3 was key positions v. more Late war Brits.  This one used the double platoon method to get a swarm of bugs loaded with veterans with smgs.  With little a/tank, my early war Ities had no chance.   I resorted to playing for a draw hoping to distact the enemy from the vicrory conditions, but he remembered just in time to sieze the vacant objectives just before the end of turn 6.

Round 4 on day 2 was Point Defence v. more Late War Brits.  But this mission suited my force & I won comfortably - holding all objectives & losing just 4 men & the Sahariana.
Round 5 was the Sectors scenario & my first blue on blue.  The enemy had 2 platoons allowing 2 MkIII's, a 222 & a lot of small vet squads armed to the teeth.  With little anti-tank I felt helpless as the armour suppressed my men & the German smgs & flamethrower systematically destroyed my army. 

So my end result was 3 losses, 1 win & 1 draw.  In the mean time Chris managed 4 losses & a draw.  His only win being, like me in round 4, where he attacked a Japanese force.  Chris finished last Allied Major Power & I finished last Minor Power & I received the wooden spoon.  But all my opponent's & all but one of Chris's were nice guys & good to play against.   Both of us had no delusions at the start about doing well in the victory stakes & enjoyed our games anyway, attempting to at least put up a good show against the odds. 

The TO's did a great job & it all went very smoothly.   They generally avoided blue on blue & we got a different table every time.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so looks like we will be playing more bolt action to get up to scratch

Truscott Trotter said...

Allowing 2 platoons in a comp is an invitation to a cheese factory IMHO.

lisa said...

Good news this is to everyone out there with different health challenges, as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solutions. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr Emmanuel  a herbal practitioner who helped cure me from HSV (2), i had suffered from this diseases for the past 5 years and i have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine Dr Emmanuel sent to me to drink for about 14 days . 3 days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested free from HSV. all thanks to God for leading me to Dr Emmanuel who was able to cure me completely from this deadly diseases, I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Emmanuel because I got to know him through elizabeth who he cured from HIV. I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don’t die in ignorance or silent and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact Dr Emmanuel through his email traditionalherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com You can also whatsapp/call him on:+2348140033827 .He cure all forms of disease {1}HIV/AIDS {2}DIABETES {3}EPILEPSY {4} BLOOD CANCER {5} HPV {6} BRAIN TUMOR {7} HEPATITIS {8}COPD{9} SICKLE AND ANAEMIA.etc Be kind enough to share as you received.