Thursday, June 15, 2023

Road trip to the north island

I've just come back from a 3 1/2 week 6,000 km road trip on Australia's north island in my Mercedes Sdkfz A160 scout car.  My route took me to the MCG, Mt Kosciuszko, Canberra, Blue Mountains, up the Great Divide, Byron Bay, Brisbane, then west to Charleville then south through the outback though Bourke, to Hay, west to Mildura & back to the Geelong ferry terminal via Bendigo.  

Apart from a couple of good wargames with SteveD & Dale in Canberra, there were only two military highlights:

Mephesto is the only surviving genuine WWI German tank.  Souvenired by the Queensland battalion in 1918 it is on display at the Queensland Museum in Brisbane.

At the war memorial in a little town in outback Queensland I found a German WWI anti-tank gun.  It's a 77mm field gun with smaller wheels to give it a low profile & modified sights for direct fire.  

Some of the non-military highlights:

Watching Collingwood beat Carton at the MCG in a crowd of over 80,000.

On Mt Kosciuszko 2,227m, highest point in Australia.

Outback scenery.

Car camping in the Dividing Range forest.

Luxury caravan park at Barringun roadhouse, back of Bourke, $5 a night for a site & big chooks in the back yard.

After over a week high on the Dividing Range, I dropped to sea level at Byron Bay, latitude 28.5 degrees S & it was 26 degrees C, bikini babes on the beach, & I could take my puffer jacket off.

Watching the Saturday night footy on my tablet on the rooftop terrace of the Brisbane YHA without needing my puffer jacket.

3 comments:

rross said...

Sounds like a great trip but I am disappointed there are no pix of the bikie babes!

rross said...

Or even bikini....bloody auto correct

anymous said...

I see there are no photos of the match on monday ,go melbourne